DOMAINE MOSNY ||
Domaine Mosny is a 14-hectare estate in Saint-Martin-le-Beau village, handed down through five generations. The family vineyards were founded in the 1920s by Ernest Mosny, who saw the founding of the Montlouis AOC in 1938. When his son Elie returned from the war, he expanded the estate, producing legendary wines from the 1945 and 1947 vintages. Next came Daniel, who grew sales to turn over to the next generation. Today, Thierry Mosny and his son Thomas lead the estate under the watchful eye of Daniel (Thierry’s father), transitioning to certified organic viticulture.
Upstream from Tours, where the Loire and the Cher rivers meet, the appellation of Montlouis-Sur-Loire is spread over three municipalities: Montlouis-Sur-Loire, Saint-Martin-le-Beau, and Lussault-Sur-Loire. Montlouis grew Pineau de Loire (Chenin Blanc) as Vouvray for centuries until the AOC establishment in 1938. The region has gravelly topsoil on a deep bed of tuffeau, a soft, porous limestone found in the central Loire, most notably in Saumur, Vouvray, and Montlouis.